On the Rules of Applying Fertilizers to Red Soils


soil fertilization
red soil


How to Cite

Kutaladze, N., Mikeladze, Z., Lominadze, S., Papunidze, S., Tsintskiladze, A., Abuladze, D., & Gorgiladze, T. (2023). On the Rules of Applying Fertilizers to Red Soils. GEORGIAN SCIENTISTS, 5(4), 144–152. https://doi.org/10.52340/gs.2023.05.04.12


The article presents research results of applying mineral fertilizers to red soils. The research aimed at increasing productivity in low productive red soils, definition of optimal volume of fertilizer costs, developing the recommendations for fertilization. The agrochemical indicators were studied before applying fertilizers, also after three years since the beginning of tests. There are some changes in agrochemical indicators because of fertilization. Total nitrogen content, soil acidity indicators and a sum of absorbed bases has also remained the same. Hydrolysed nitrogen and exchangeable potassium content has been slightly increased. It was revealed that application of phosphorus fertilizers in the soils with poor phosphorus content (phosphorus oxide P2O5 < 30 mg/100 g) with phosphorus P180 kg/ha nitrogen N300 potassium K100 increases productivity. It is recommended to apply phosphorus and potassium fertilizers during winter digging. In the soils with low phosphorus pentoxide, an optimal dose of nitrogen is 200 kg/ha. It is advisable to apply nitrogen fertilizer - 60% from March 1st to April 1st, and the rest 40% - in July. The research also revealed that phosphorus fertilizers shall be applied once in three years with dosage 540 kg/ha. This significantly decreases the costs.



Kutaladze N. 2006. The seasonal dynamics of phosphorus pentoxide in red soils of Adjara. The Issues of Agric Sci 34:74-76.

Kutaladze N. 2009. Phosphorus transformation in red soil and efficiency of phosphorus fertilizers on tea plantation in Adjara. Batumi.

Kutaladze N, Margvelashvili G. 2005a. Mineral forms of phosphorus in the red soil of Adjara and their transformation under the conditions of application of phosphorus fertilizers. Bull Georgian Acad Agric Sci 4:210-14.

Kutaladze N, Mikeladze O, Tsintskiladze A. 2003. Characterization of Adjara soils and ways to increase fertility. Proc Bat. Shota Rustaveli st. Univ.:230-235.

Kutaladze N, Mikeladze Z, Gogolishvili T. 2019. Some issues about increasing the fertility of the red soils of Adjara. Akaki Tsereteli St Uni Sci J Moambe 1:64-68.

Kutaladze N, Oniani O. 2005b. A Migration of Phosphates in the Red Soil of Adjara. Bull Georgian Acad Agric Sci. 14:214-17.

Margvelashvili G. 2019. A Chemical Analysis of Soil. Tbilisi.

Margvelashvili G, Dzadzamia T. 2021. A Practical Manual in Agrochemistry. Tbilisi.

Mikeladze Z, Kutaladze N, Lominadze Sh. 2021. Influence of the biopreparation “Gaupsin” on storability of mandarin fruits. Int J Sci Res Manag. 9:304–12

Margvelashvili G, Kiknadze N. 2009. Phosphorus in intensive farming soils of Georgia and effectiveness of phosphorus fertilizers. Tbilisi.

Tsintskiladze A, Gotsiridze R. 2022. Prospects of modern technologies of fertilizer production for Georgian agriculture. Geor scien. 4(1):172-84.

Urushadze T, Tkhelidze A, Gambashidze G. 2015. Soils of Georgia. Tbilisi: UNDP.

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Copyright (c) 2023 GEORGIAN SCIENTISTS


Download data is not yet available.


Metrics Loading ...