AGING AND VIABILITY OF RED BLOOD CELLS
The purpose of the study was the determination of the viability (tolerance) of red blood cells in different age groups.The blood from volunteers of different age was stored at -17 ° C during various periods of time (1day, 20, 40 and 60 days). As the result of the study it was found that red blood cells of young volunteers are much more resistant (tolerant) compared to the red blood cells of elderly volunteers.Red blood cells of older volunteers after longterm storage suffer hemolysis , which is manifested by reducing of their number and can be related to the human agedependent alterations of the red blood cell membrane protein composition.
2. Bollini A1, Huarte M, Hernández G, Bazzoni G, Piehl L, Mengarelli G, de Celis ER, Rasia M. Arsenic intoxication, a hemorheologic view. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2010;44(1):3-17.
3. Doucet DR1, Bonitz RP, Feinman R, Colorado I, Ramanathan M, Feketeova E, Condon M, Machiedo GW, Hauser CJ, Xu DZ, Deitch EA. Estrogenic hormone modulation abrogates changes in red blood cell deformability and neutrophil activation in trauma hemorrhagic shock. J Trauma. 2010 Jan;68(1):35-41.
4. Fernandes CJ Jr. Red blood cell deformability is critical for oxygen utilization in sepsis. Crit Care Med. 2009 Dec;37(12):3172-3
5. Gabunia T, Turabelidze-Robaqidze S, Sujashvili R, Ioramashvili I, Gogebashvili N, Sanikidze T. ALTERATIONS OF RBC MEMBRANE PROTEINS IN DIABETIC PATIENTS WITH AND WITHOUT PERIODONTITIS. Georgian Med News. 2015 Nov;(248):39-45.
6. Hon GM, Hassan MS, van Rensburg SJ, Abel S, van Jaarsveld P, Erasmus RT, Matsha T. Red blood cell membrane fluidity in the etiology of multiple sclerosis. J Membr Biol. 2009 Dec;232(1-3):25-34
7. Lutz HU. Innate immune and non-immune mediators of erythrocyte clearance. Cell Mol Biol. 2004;50: 107-116.
8. Pruidze N, Khetsuriani R, Sujashvili R, Ioramashvili I, Arabuli M, Sanikidze T. ALTERATIONS OF PROPERTIES OF RED BLOOD CELLS MEMBRANES PROTEINS OF DIFFERENT AGE AND SEX VOLUNTEERS. Georgian Med News. 2015 Jul-Aug;(244-245):110-5
9. Zanazzi M, Fatini C, Farsetti S, Rosso G, Caroti L, Sticchi E, Liotta AA, Ricci I, Mannini L, Bertoni E, Abbate R, Salvadori M. Blood rheology and renal transplantation: an intriguing relationship for assessing cardiovascular risk. Transplant Proc. 2010 May;42(4):1383-4